Rail transport is without question the most environment-friendly and in the long run also economically most sensible method for transporting goods as well as people from A to B.
IRIS – International Railway Industry Standard
In order to gain the maximum benefit from the significant advantages railways have over other forms of transportation, the European Union has instituted measures for a sweeping liberalization of railway traffic in Europe. In this highly competitive environment, railway operators are faced with new challenges, which in turn leads to manufacturers and suppliers in the railway vehicle industry having to demonstrate their competence to an increasing extent.
IRIS – Sector solution on the basis of ISO 9001
With the development of this standard, the initiators of IRIS – the Union of the European Railway Industry UNIFE* and leading rail vehicle manufacturers – combined all of the essential requirements of this industry sector into one.
IRIS is based on the internationally recognized quality management standard ISO 9001, supplemented by the specific requirements of the railway vehicle industry. That makes this railway standard applicable throughout the chain of supply – from designers and developers to manufacturers, suppliers and maintenance companies. Certification may only be undertaken by specifically authorized certification bodies, and is based on a standardized process. Certified organizations can then become registered in the UNIFE supplier database.
Core Elements of an IRIS Certification
- Project management for railways
- Tender / quotation management
- Obsolescence management
- RAM** and Safety (ISO 50126 et seq.)
- Life Cycle Cost Assessment (LCC)
- Improved product quality and supply performance
- Process-oriented and inter-disciplinary management approach
- Business planning and cost management
- Management of risks and opportunities
- First Article Inspection (FAI)
- Knowledge management
For information on how to register, please visit: www.iris-rail.org
* Union des Industries Ferroviaires Européennes
** Reliability, Availability, Maintainability
The benefits for your organization
- Standardized requirements lead to quality and process improvements
- Integrated audits to IRIS and ISO 9001 create synergies
- Internationally recognized DQS certificate
- Secure competitive standing in the railway vehicle industry
- Listing in the UNIFE database of IRIS-certified organizations; the database is used by the decision-makers in the railway vehicle industry in order to gain reliable information and thus reduce risk when selecting suppliers
- Publication in the DQS customer database on the Internet at www.dqs.de